Warning: This Chicken Gnocchi Soup is addictive!
South Florida hasn’t seen much rain these past few months, little ponds and canals near us on the golf course have dried up leaving just mud. When we heard the heavy rains come pouring down early this morning we both agreed it was a very much needed storm. The only downside is that John was set to golf at noon so that wasn’t going to happen with the constant down pour on the course.
With a somewhat busy Sunday with hockey practice and the kids having a friend over (and it still raining pretty heavy) I thought we might want some warm creamy chicken gnocchi soup, just like Olive Gardens. I came across a recipe on Pinterest a while back that seemed pretty tasty and easy.
I had everything on the ingredients list in the fridge and pantry and plenty of time to cook with the kids being in the pool and hot tub, yes in the rain!
This is actually Chloe’s favorite soup and what she orders every time we go to Olive Garden. In fact, anytime we have to celebrate a special occasion for Chloe she picks Olive Gardens for this soup specifically. I had to kick her out of the kitchen while I making it so that she wasn’t trying to sneak a taste.
A very easy base on this creamy soup from start to finish with prep for the veggies and chicken I was done within an hour.
Olive Garden Copycat Chicken Gnocchi Soup
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded ( I use my Cuisinart Smart Stick 2)
1 Tbs olive oil
4 Tbs butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 cups chicken broth
2 cups milk
1 cup carrots, shredded
2 tsp parsley flakes
Salt and pepper for seasoning
1 package (16 ounces) mini potato gnocchi
1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- In large dutch oven or stock pot, melt butter and olive oil together.
- Add your onions, carrots and garlic and cook until onions become translucent.
- Whisk in your flour and let cook for a minute, slowly stir in your chicken broth and simmer until it starts to thicken up.
- Meanwhile in pan cook your gnocchi according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- Add your milk to your veggie and chicken broth mix and bring to a boil, stir in your seasonings.
- Once at a boil reduce heat and add your gnocchi, spinach and chicken simmering until heated through and thickened.
- You can add celery to this recipe if desired, juts add about 1 cup chopped.
- If your soup is too thin for your liking add 1Tbs cornstarch mixed with 1Tbs cold water and stir into your soup until thickened. We prefer our soup a little thinner as you can see in the photos above (it’s great for dipping a fresh baguette)